Table of Contents
CHEMISTRY AS A SCIENCE SUBJECT
Science is an organized body of knowledge gathered through systematic experimentations and philosophical observations. Chemistry can be defined as a branch of science which deals with the study of the nature, structure, composition, properties and uses of all forms of matter and the changes in structure and composition which matter undergoes.
BRANCHES OF CHEMISTRY
Chemistry is divided into three main branches, namely
Physical chemistry deals with the physical aspect of chemistry like quantum theory, heat and electricity.
Organic chemistry deals with the study of carbon and its compounds.
Inorganic chemistry deals with the study of elements, their properties and uses
SCIENTIFIC METHODS OF DISCOVERIES
Scientific method of discovery includes the following steps and stages:
Hypothesis refers to a prediction or guesses which explains an observed problem. When the hypothesis has been tested and found to be true within the limits of available evidence, it becomes a theory. A theory which has been extensively tested and proven correct without any exception becomes a scientific law.
- Define chemistry
- State the stages or steps involved in scientific discoveries
- When does a theory become a scientific law?
APPLICATIONS OF CHEMISTRY
Chemistry is applied in our everyday life as different activities take place in the environment. The effect of chemistry is felt in different aspects of life such as cooking, washing with soaps or detergent, digestion of food, drugs etc. Other applications of chemistry include health care, transportation, food, houses and clothes.
CAREER PROSPECTS IN CHEMISTRY
Chemistry is involved in our everyday lives and there is a vast range of careers open to those who have studied chemistry at any level. Great career opportunities exist both inside and outside the laboratory. You can choose a career from different fields such as:
- Pharmaceutical/drug development
- Science education
- Chemical engineering
- Mining and Metallurgy
- Pure and applied chemistry
- Petroleum and Petrochemical Engineering
- Quality control
- Medicine and surgery
- Chemical analysis/forensic science
- Environmental Chemistry
- Science Laboratory Technology
- Biochemistry etc
- State five applications of chemistry in our daily life.
- Mention five adverse effects of chemicals and how they can be controlled.
- Mention ten (10) career opportunities in chemistry.
- List the branches of chemistry.
- The aspect of chemistry that deals with the study of carbon and its compound is called (a) physical chemistry (b) Organic chemistry (c) Inorganic chemistry (d) Analytical chemistry
- Which of the following is not an adverse effect of chemistry? (a) pollution (b) poisoning (c) emulsion (d) corrosion
- A stage in scientific method of discoveries is (a) Evaporating (b) Hypothesis (c) Dehydrating (d) dissolving
- A theory which has been extensively tested and proven correct without any exception becomes (a) scientific law (b) hypothesis (c) experiment (d) pattern
- Career prospects in chemistry includes all the following EXCEPT (a) Biochemistry (b) Quality control (c) Accounting (d) Metallurgy
- State five applications of chemistry in our daily life
- Mention five laboratory apparatus and their uses