INTERNET – WELL EXPLAINED
What is internet? Internet or simply “The Net” is a worldwide system of computer networks in which used at any one computer can, if given permission or access, get information from any other computer. It is the largest connected of millions of computers connected to thousands of different networks worldwide.
These computers communicate, share, exchange and transmit information to another computer on the same or another network. Internet begins with the development of electronic computers in 1950s. it is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link devices worldwide.
Most popular protocols are www, FTP, Telnet, email, instant messaging etc.
This is a software application that enables users to access the internet. It is used to retrieve present, exchange and share information on the internet. Web browser is software that enables the viewing of the web.
Examples of internet browser
Most popular or familiar examples of internet browser are:
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google chrome
- Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge
- Apple Safari
- Netscape Navigator
- Oracle’s Power Browser
Benefits of Internet
- Unlimited information: The internet has made it easy for people to communicate with others because it is cheap and convenient.
- Abundant information and resources: There are multiple search engines that have made it easier for internet users to find information.
- Many commercial organizations advertise sell goods or provide services on the net.
- Internet enables online access to the doctors and medical advice.
- Easy sharing of information. News or latest information can be sent at the same time to many people using the internet.
- Computer files can be uploaded using file transfer protocol (FTP)
- Online service and E-commerce transactions can be carried out online. Find transfer, tax and utility bills or online booking of flight tickets can be easily done online.
- Entertainment: people can watch movies, listen to music, read books, play games over the internet
- People can now work from home rather than office through the internet.
- Downloading software: one can download games, music, video, movies and host of other entertainment software from the internet, most of which are free.
Abuses of Internet
- Personal information: some personal information like address, name etc. can be accessed by other people through the internet and if one uses a credit card’s information can be stolen and your account may be accessed.
- Spamming: This refers to sending unsolicited e-mails in bulk which serves no purpose and unnecessary disturbs the entire system.
- Virus: The possibility of downloading computer virus that can harm data held on a computer or a network.
- Lack of controls: There is no control on that quality of information available on the internet, therefore some information may not be accurate or may be highly offensive.
- Pornographic sites on the internet that can be easily found can be detriments to letting children use the internet.
- Copyright violation: Downloading software or part of somebody’s work without permission
- Expensive: The cost of computer equipment connection of telephone charges can be high.
- Fraud: There are lots of fraud practices on the net
- Addition to internet: Just like everything else, people also get addicted to the internet.
This is the act of protecting the files and activities of the internet to unauthorized users. Cyber criminals are constantly looking for improperly secured websites to attacks; as a result, it is essential to secure servers and the network infrastructure that supports them.
Examples of security threats to web servers
- Sensitive information on the web server may be read and modified without authorization.
- The server may be used as a distribution point for attack tools, pornography or illegally copies software.
- Cyber criminals may gain unauthorized access to resources elsewhere in the organization’s network via a successful attack on the web server.
- Information on the web may be changed for malicious purposes.
- Denial-of-service attacks may be directed at the web server or its supporting network infrastructure to prevent or hinder the website users from making use of its servers.
Some internet securities that can be used are as follows:
- Ensure that only appropriate content is published on the website.
- Ensure the web server application meets the organization’s security requirements.
- Carefully plan and address the security aspects of the deployment of a public web server.
- Ensure that web server operating systems meet the organisation’s security.
- Employ network infrastructure to help protect public web servers.
- Commit to an ongoing process of maintaining web server security.
- Use active content judiciously after balancing the benefits and risks
- Implement appropriate security management practices and controls when maintaining and operating a secure web server.
- Define internet
- List five benefits and abuses of internet
- Explain internet security
- Mention ways of security the internet
Do You Like Our Lesson? Please Leave A Comment Below ↓