PRACTICAL ON INTERNET
E-mail is a method of sending digital messages from one computer to another. E-mail is short for Electronic Mail. E-mail is received instantly by the users email provider and mails stay in the mailbox until accessed by the users. Mail boxes have storage limit (limited amount of emails which they can hold and once full you cannot receive any more email until you delete older messages).
To use email, you must have an email address. Email address can be web based (like yahoo mail or Gmail or hosted internally like outlook express on the school computer).
Creating a yahoo mail account
Steps to yahoo account
- Open the browser and go to login.yahoo.com/account/create or edit.yahoo.com/registration. A page will show up with registration form at the center of the page.
- Type your “first name” in the first field box
- Type your ‘last name” in the second field box
- Choose your new username i.e. your email firstname.lastname@example.org. The name can only contain numbers, letters, periods, and underscores. If your username is already taken, yahoo offers you a few username suggestions. If you do not like them, you can type in one that suits you.
- Create a new password for your yahoo mail account. When creating your password, it is advisable that you choose a password that is easy enough for you to remember, yet would be difficult for outsider to guess. It is recommended to combine letters, numbers and special characters (!,#,$,etc.).
- Enter your mobile number in the next field box, note that you have to choose your country code to the left of the phone number field.
- Select from the drop down menu your date of birth.
- Choose male or female from the drop down menu. Note that it’s optional to choose a gender.
- Click the “continue” button, another page will show where you have to confirm the phone number you entered on the first page. There are two options. (a) You can choose to receive the code as a text message. (b) via call.
- The page will reload, a field will show up to enter the code you receive via call or text message.
- Click on the verify button and you are done. A new page will show up with the following text. “Congratulations!” You are the proud owner of a brand new yahoo account.
- Click on “lets get started” button to enter your yahoomail page.
After creating your new yahoo account, you will be able to enjoy all the great tools and features that the service offers. You can login to your yahoo mail with your email and password via “login.yahoo.com”.
Creating a Gmail account
Steps to Gmail account.
- Go to Gmail home page (mail.google.com)
- Click on the “create account” button below the sign inform. The sign up form will appear.
- For you to be able to create a new Gmail you need to enter some personal information, including name, birth date and gender.
- Type your Gmail account “username”
- Choose the password
- Fill your current email address field
- Insert the Captcha “code”, i.e. a verification tool that ensures you are not a bot that is creating the account.
- Select your current location
- Finally click on next step button and you will be asked to complete your profile. It is up to you whether you want to do that or not.
Open and checking email
It is important to always check your e-mail box to read your mail. To check mail with yahoo, follow the steps below.
- Log on to yahoomail.com or mail.yahoo.com
- Enter your user id and password in the required box
- Click on sign in or press ENTER key. A new window will open showing welcome “your name”
- Click inbox on your account page
- Click on any message to read it
- Click sign out to leave your account.
Writing and sending e-mail
To write and send mail with yahoo mail, take the following steps.
- Sign into your mail
- Click on new button and select mail (or click compose)
- Type the recipient email address(es).
- Enter email addresses for any copy (cc) or (bcc)
- Type the subject
- Type your message or mail
- Click on send button and wait for the mail to go.
Attaching file to an email
- Open a new email message window, usually by clicking the new message or compose email icon or the CTRL + N (keyboard shortcut)
- Click on the menu item with a paper clip icon that says “attach a file” or something similar e.g. (attach files)
- Browse through your computer’s folders and click to select the files/folders you want to attach. Note that you can select multiple files by holding down the CTRL key while clicking on each file.
- Click the “open” or “choose file” or another similar button to attach the file to your email.
- Then continue composing your email 9put the email address of the person you want to send the attachment to in the To: field, add a subject and message in the body and press or click send.
- Define e-mail
- Explain the steps involve in creating yahoo mail account
- Explain steps involve in sending mail to recipients
COMPUTER ETHICS AND SAFETY
Do You Like Our Lesson? Please Leave A Comment Below ↓