Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT): Information and Communication Technology is an umbrella term that includes all technologies for the manipulation and computation of information.
ICT are the Computation and Communication facilities and features that variously support teaching, learning and a range of activities in education. Communication is the process by which people exchange information or express their thought and feelings.
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is about the discovery of new ways of communicating fast and more easily at any time in human life. ICT products can be individually or in combination with one another.
AREAS OF ICT APPLICATION
- ICT IN AGRICULTURE: The application of information and communication technology (ICT) in agriculture is increasingly important.
E-Agriculture is an emerging field focusing on the enhancement of agricultural and rural development through improved information and communication processes. More specifically, e-agriculture involve the conceptualization, design, development, evaluation and application of innovative ways to use information and communication technologies (ICT) in the rural domain, with a primary focus on agriculture.
- ICT Application in Education
(a) Keep best practices guidelines for all ICT hardware and software: They should not simply be administrative tools or electronic proxies, but function more as an integrated part of the classroom and the lesson plan.
(b) Use ICT to link home and school effectively: ICT can do this by increased communication and transparency, as well as recreating a positive environment. Engaging parents will also increase student motivation and this raise standards.
(c) Position associations with computers: Children associate positively with computers – they are therefore welcomed as a learning platform. Technology should be embraced and its appeal to students should be considered as positive
- ICT in Banking and Finance:
Gadgets and their purposes (importance): Gadgets are electronically simplified applications that make work easy. Gadgets have invaded each and every part of our life and have proved themselves to be useful.
- Gadget increase our efficiency
- A gadget brings joy to the family: With the advent of webcam and other video accessories, staying away from family and friends is no longer painful.
- Gadget make things compact: In a single gadget a user can get the function of more than one product.
- They help in saving space
- Gadgets are fun: Ipods, music systems, video games, DVD and most important of all the popular TV. So, gadgets not only make our lives easier but also save our money and precious time.
- ICT in Telecommunication
- ICT in Business
- ICT in Automobile
Benefits of ICT
- Timely, better and cheaper access to knowledge and information.
- Speed up transactions and processes, this could be seen in the use of computers compared to using manual methods.
- Causes human beings to interact with each other in new ways as could be seen in the use of GSM and telephones.
- Distance becomes irrelevant in business transactions and dealings
- Innovative ways of interaction and thinking
- Make life more enjoyable and entertaining – DVD, IPOD, MP# Players, CD, etc
- It reduce cost of processing and production
Disadvantages of ICT
- Increase laziness to work
- Increase laziness to study
- Displace many people out of job
- Take more precious time of users
- Lose concentration of other activities
- What is ICT
- Mention four benefits of ICT
- Mention Areas of ICT application