IMPORTANCE OF STUDYING GEOGRAPHY
- Facilitates good relationship among nations by studying geography of other regions of the world.
- it’s a career subject in that it enables one to go for advanced studies in specialized fields e.g. geography teachers, meteorology, surveying etc.
- Enables us to appreciate other people’s way of life by learning economic activities of different communities within our country and other parts of the world.
- Enables us to conserve our environment when we learn negative and positive effects of human activities on the environment.
- Enables us to conserve our resources when we learn wise use of resources in conservation and management of resources e.g. wildlife, forests, energy, etc.
- Inculcates in us virtues of cooperation and patience as we work in groups.
- Makes us to appreciate manual work as we are involved in practical geography which may lead to self-employment.
- Promotion of industry such as tourism by guiding tourists to places of interest by using maps, calculations of distances etc.
Relationship between Geography and Other Subjects
Mathematical techniques are used in drawing graphs and pie charts and mathematical formulae are used in geography to calculate distances, areas, population density, population densities, etc.
History uses geographical tools like maps, charts and graphs to show where past events took place e.g. the movement of people in the past.
Geography explains the distribution of organisms and factors influencing their distribution on the earth’s surface.
Geography uses physics principles and formulae to calculate and describe aspects such as magnetic field, gravity, vibrations of the earth etc.
Geography applies chemistry in studying chemical composition and chemical changes which take place in soils and rocks.
Geography studies farming systems, their distribution and factors affecting farming activities.
Geography uses meteorological information in the study of weather and in classifying climatic regions and mapping them.
Geography studies rocks.
Do You Like Our Lesson? Please Leave A Comment Below ↓