ICT covers any product that will store, retrieve manipulate transmit or receive information electronically in a digital form. E.g. computers, digital television, email. Information Technology (IT) refer to the systems used to store and manage information through the use of technologies such as computers.
Information System (IS) means a computer-based system to manage information. The system usually receives information, validates it, do some calculation or processing, stores the data and outputs information.
Examples of ICT are radio, television, telephone, GSM, cellular networks, computers, ad network hardware and software, internet, satellite communications,etc as well as the various services and application associated with them, such as video conferencing and distance learning.
ICT Tools (or Devices)
- Medium to record information – e.g. Magnetic disk/tape, optical disk (CD/DVD), flash memory, etc.
- Technology for broadcasting information – e.g. radio, television.
- Technology for communicating through voice and sound or imagines – e.g. Microphone, camera, loud speaker, telephone to cellular phones.
- Computing hardware – e.g. PCs, Servers, Mainframes, networked storage
- Personal hardware – Mobile phones, personal devices, MP3 players.
- All application software from the smallest home developed spreadsheet to the largest enterprise package and online software services.
Benefits of ICT
- Timely, better and cheaper access to knowledge and information
- Speeds up transactions and processes, this could be seen in the use of computers compared to using manual methods.
- Causes human beings to interact with each other now ways as could be seen in the use of GSM and telephones.
- Distance becomes irrelevant in business transaction and dealings.
- Innovation ways of interaction and thinking
- Making life more enjoyable and entertaining – DVD, IPOD, MP3 players, CD, etc.
- It reduces cost of processing and production.
- It always leads to laying off of staff jobs.
- Electronic frauds are encouraged
- Securities of devices are threatened
- What is ICT
- List five (5) ICT tools
- Mention four (4) benefits of ICT
Do You Like Our Lesson? Please Leave A Comment Below ↓