Popular organizations are those organized groups whose membership cuts across different areas of the society with clearly defined objectives. An example is a political party. As an organized group, a political party is an association of people with similar political ideology whose major objective is to contest election and gain political power in order to obtain control of government.
The formation of political party can take the following forms:
- Socio-Cultural Organization: Many political parties started as cultural organizations. The Action Group (AG) started as a cultural association known as EgbeOmonOduduwa while the Northern People’s Congress (NPC) sprang up from a popular Northern cultural association calledJamiyyaMutanemArewa.
- Religious Organizations: Political parties can be formed based on religious beliefs and doctrines. This is common in countries where a particular religion is predominant. Examples of such associations are Christian Democratic Union in Germany and Muslim League in Pakistan. Countries like Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and Israel are nations where political parties are formed based on religious beliefs.
- Government in Power: The government in power may decide to form or create political parties for the country. Former president, General Ibrahim Babangida formed the Social Democratic Party (SDP) and National Republican Convention (NRC) that contested the 1993 elections.
- LabourOrganizations: Political parties can transform into a political party that seeks to promote the interest of the organization. Labour Party (LP) in Nigeria and Workers’ Solidarity Party in Indonesia are examples.
- Constitution: The constitution defines the party system in any state. It also determines the requirements for the formation of any party. There are three major types of party system: One-party, Two-party and Multi-party system.
- Define political party.
- Mention four ways political parties are formed.
ROLES OF POPULAR ORGANIZATIONS/POLITICAL PARTIES
- They help to promote democratic principles.
- They ensure accountability of government officials.
- They promote peaceful change of government.
- They bring about unity among different groups and interests.
- They serve as watchdogs on elected representatives.
- They provide political education to the public.
- They provide welfare and humanitarian services.
- Mention four roles of popular organization.
- How can popular organization ensure accountability in government?
- What is democracy?
- Differentiate between classical and representative democracy
- Outline five disadvantages of democracy
- Describe three ways popular organizations are formed.
- What four roles can popular organizations play to promote democracy?
Formation of Popular Organisation: Fundamentals of Civic Education for Senior Secondary Book 2, Sola Akinyemi 38-40.
Instruction: From the options lettered A-D, choose the letter that is most appropriate for the following questions. Answer all the questions.
- Popular organization whose major aim is to control government is called? A. Civil society B. Public corporation C. Political party D. Pressure group
- The Northern People’s Congress was an offshoot of?A. EgbeOmonOduduwa B. Arewa Consultative Forum C. JamiyyaMutanemArewa D. Odua People’s Congress
- The formation of NRC and SDP is traceable to A. OlusegunObasanjo B.MurtalaMuhammed
- Ibrahim Babangida D.SaniAbacha
- A state that recognizes three political parties is said to operate ….. system A. three-party
- zero-party C. multi-party D. one-party
- The Workers Solidarity Party was a political party in A. Nigeria B.GhanaC.Indonesia D. Germany
- Briefly explain the following: i. Zero-party system ii. One-party system iii. Multi-party system
2. Explain three roles of popular organizations in the development of the society
- organizations synonym
- organizations to donate to
- organizations near me
- organizations that help pay bills
- organizations affiliated with geico
- organizations that help children
- organizations that help the homeless
- organizations that help senior citizens
- organizations that help with rent
- organization are formed
- organizations that are formed to offer services to clients
- organizations formed by ambedkar
- how popular organizations are formed
- informal organizations that are formed in a certain community
- international organizations (ions) are formed by
- not for profit organizations are formed for
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate