Table of Contents
Ths is any edible substance liquid or solid which when eaten and digested maintain life. Eating a balanced meal is very essential for survival.
A balanced diet is a meal that contains all the six classes of food nutrients in the right proportion.
Feeding Habits are your everyday patterns of eating.
Healthy Feeding Habits results from choosing nutritious food in a conscious way.
Unhealthy Feeding Habitresults from making poor choice of food over a period of time.
HEALTHY EATING HABITS
- Chewing foods and chew rightly.
- Eat in a hygienic place using clean utensils.
- Do not rush over meals to prevent indigestion.
- Always wash your hands before and after eating.
- When eating, take just enough food that the mouth can contain
- Close your lips while chewing food.
- 7. Do not stretch your hand over someone’s food in order to reach for salt, water, etc.
Feeding Practice refers to our everyday pattern of selecting and consuming nutritious meals.
IMPORTANCE OF HEALTHY FEEDING HABITS
- Makes you look good and feel better.
- Gives the body more energy.
- Prevents you from getting some diseases later in life.
- Have body better equipped to heal fast and properly.
GUIDELINES FOR HEALTHY FEEDING PRACTICE
- Use food in season.
- Eat a variety of food; eat food containing all classes of food.
- Choose a diet that is moderate in cholesterol.
- Choose a diet that is moderate in sugar.
- Choose a diet that is moderate in salt.
- Choose nutritious food in a conscious way.
EFFECTS OF UNHEALTHY FEEDING PRACTICE
- Marasmus: This is a severe loss of body weight in children caused by malnutrition or inability to digest protein.
- Loss of weight.
- Define feeding practice.
- Mention the effects of unhealthy feeding practice.
They are substances deliberately added to food to improve its taste, flavour, colour, texture, appearance, etc. Examples of food additives are nutmeg, curry, thyme, dry crayfish, orange peels, locust beans, etc.
ADDITIVES AND HARMFUL SUBSTANCES THAT SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN INTO THE BODY
- Spoilt foods/ fruits
- Sour foods
- Expired foods
- Undercooked foods
- Banned additives like cocaine.
EFFECTS OF HARMFUL SUBSTANCE IN THE BODY
- It can lead to physical breakdown.
- It can cause emotional and mental disorder.
- It can lead to health problem.
- It can lead to anti-social behaviour.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- Explain feeding practice.
- What are food additives?
- Mention four effects of harmful substance in the body.
- Mention hair infections
- Differentiate between feeding practice and feeding habits.
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT (SECTION A)
- Feeding practice is referred to as……… (a) eating regularly (b) eating large quantity of food (c) balanced diet (d) our everyday pattern of selecting and consuming nutritious meals.
- Substances deliberately added to food to improve its taste, flavour, colour, texture, appearance is known as……… (a) balanced diet (b) nutritious meal (c) food flavouring (d) food additives.
- Additives and harmful substances that should not be taken into the body include the following except (a) spoilt foods/ fruits (b) plantain (c) alcohol (d) tobacco.
- Guidelines for healthy feeding practice include the following except (a) use food in season (b) eat a variety of food (c) choose a diet that is moderate in cholesterol (d) wash your hands before and after eating.
- ——- is the a severe loss of body weight in children caused by malnutrition or inability (a) obesity (a) marasmus (d) kwashiorkor (d) underweight.
- Explain healthy feeding practice.
- Mention four guidelines of healthy feeding practice.
- Differentiate between healthy eating practice and feeding habits.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. Thank you so much. Click here to donate