MEANING OF OBEDIENCE TO THE FIRST LAW
Jesus Christ was brought up according to Jewish laws and customs. His parents were obedient Jews and set an example for him from childhood on how to keep the religious laws and he was circumcised as was the custom. He was brought to the temple for the annual and usual custom of presentation to the priest in charge. Therefore his parents came to offer a sacrifice according to the law of God. By so doing they laid the foundation for religious obedience in the young Jesus
JESUS SHOWS OBEDIENCE TO EXISTING LAWS. MARK 1: 40, 45, MATTHEW 22:15-22
A leper came to Jesus and begged Him to cure him of his leprosy. Jesus had pity on the man and stretched out his hand and touched him and said to him, I will, be clean the man was made clean. He ordered the man to not to tell any one, but go, show yourself to the priest, and offer for your cleansing what Moses commanded for a proof to the people. He thereby taught the lesson of obedience to the law of the community.
When the Pharisees and the Herodians wanted to find a charge with which to accuse Jesus, they asked for His opinion about the payment of taxes Matt22:17. Jesus knew he was being tempted. He took a coin that had the picture of Caesar and told them that they should obey the government and also obey laws of God. Render to Caesar things that are Caesars and to God things that are Gods. Matthew 22:21.
PAYMENT OF TAXES
Jesus was obedient and also taught obedience to the laws of the community. A good Christian is one who is also a good citizen .Jesus as well, as his disciples, paid their taxes. It is highly expedient, that we obey the laws ,rules, regulations and also keep the road signs. This will lead to peace and harmony in our society.
- Why do we have to pay tax?
- List 4 rules you must keep while you are in school.
JESUS AND THE OLD TESTAMENT LAWS MAT 5:21-48
1) ON MURDER: – The law says. You shall not kill and whosever kills shall be liable to Judgment. Jesus went beyond the act of killing to condemn anger of heart murder. He says that anyone who says, You fool shall be liable to hell fire.
2) ON SWEARING: – The Jewish says You shall not swear false but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn Jesus added more to it. He said do not swear at all ether by heaven, earth or by Jerusalem, you shall simply say Yes or No.
3) ON REVENGE: The law says An eye for an eye, tooth for tooth Jesus says if anyone slaps you on the right check, turn the left cheek. If anyone asks you to go a mile, go with him two miles, if anyone asks for a coat, give him two coats.
4) ON ADULTERY: The law says you should not commit adultery Jesus stated that anyone who looked at a woman lustfully had committed adultery already.
5) ON DIVORCE: The law says that anyone who wants to divorce his wife, he should give her a certificate of divorce, but Jesus said divorce should only be on the ground of unchastity or unfaithfulness.
6) ON LOVE: The Jewish law asked people to love their neighbours and hate their enemies. Jesus however, said love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
We should therefore understand the law before obeying it. We should worship God with a pure heart; this means no anger and hatred in the heart. We should love our enemies and not kill them
HUMAN NEEDS ABOVE THE DEMANDS OF THE LAW Mark 2:23-28, 3:1- 6
When the Pharisees challenged Jesus for allowing his disciples to pluck corn on a Sabbath, He reminded them of how David entered the house of God and ate the sacred bread when he was hungry. Jesus therefore declared; the Sabbath was made for man; not man for the Sabbath.
A man with a withered hand was brought to Jesus to heal on a Sabbath day. The Pharisee came around to know what He would do. Jesus knowing their intentions asked them, Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill? The Pharisees were confused. Jesus went ahead to cure the man. The conclusion, some human needs are above others.
PURITY AND HUMAN LAW MK 7:1-13
The Pharisee and Scribes condemned the disciples of Jesus for eating bread with unwashed hands. For the Pharisees and all the Jews, except they wash, they will not eat. They also wash cups, pots, brazen vessels and tables before eating or doing anything with them when they come from market; thereby holding the tradition of the elders.
These were the charges the Pharisee and scribes brought to Jesus that his disciples failed to keep or walk according to the traditions of the elders. Jesus responded to them by saying that they honour God with their lips, but their heart is far from Him. That they worship God in vain teaching doctrines and the commandments of men and laying aside the commandments of God.
Jesus further told them that purity of heart should supersede human laws. Human laws can be changed and broken, but purity of heart becomes paramount as that is the only passport one has to see God. He also told them that there is nothing that enters into a man that can defile him, but the things which come out of him; those are the things that defile the man.
- How did Jesus defend his use of the Sabbath?
- Identify two Old Testament law in the passage (Matt 5:21-28) what does Jesus Christ teach about these laws?
- Explain how you can subject yourself to religious laws
- Discuss your civil laws
- How did Jesus treat the Old Testament Laws?
- Which of the laws is the most important?
- Jesus Christ was Circumcised on what day a) Seventh day b) 8th day c) 9th day
- Render to Caesar things that are Caesars and to God things that are Gods. This statement was made by a) Peter b) Paul c) Jesus Christ
- Who was told to go to the priest and obtain a certificate of cleansing?
- a) Adulterer b) Blind man c) Leper
- Peter paid tribute to collectors from the money taken from ____ a) His pocket
- b) Mouth of fish c) Mouth of birds
- Jesus Christ subjected himself to religious laws only a) True b) False
- Jesus condemned anger by saying that anyone who says You fool” shall be liable to a) Judgment b) Hell fire c) Punishment
- We are told not to swear by a) heaven b) Jerusalem c) All of the above
- ____ is the law of Jesus a) Eye for eye b) Tooth for tooth c) Turn the left cheek if someone slaps you on the right.
- ____ is the New Testament law on adultery a) Only shaping with a married woman b) Looking at a woman lustfully c) Receiving a certificate of divorce
- ____ are the people that challenged Jesus when His disciples were hungry and plucking corn on a Sabbath a) Gentile b) Pharisee c) Herodians
- State five Old Testament law that Jesus clarified in Matt 5:41-45.
- Explain the modern interpretation of law.