Geographic Information System can be applied in different field which include defence, agriculture, mining, transport, urban planning, census, surveying etc.
Problems of GIS in Nigeria
- Inadequate power
- Inadequate personnel
- Inadequate capital
- Poor communication
- Low level of technology
- Lack of GIS institutions.
GIS data represents real objects (such as roads, land use, elevation, trees, waterways, etc.). Real objects can be divided into two abstractions: discrete objects (e.g., a house) and continuous fields (such as rainfall amount, or elevations). Traditionally, there are two broad methods used to store data in a GIS for both kinds of abstractions mapping references: raster images and vector.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- What is GIS?
- Mention two features that can be represented with GIS.
- State three cultural features.
- Mention five physical features in your environment
- Define geography.
- The instrument used in measuring the intensity of earthquake is called (a) barograph (b) binocular (c) seismograph (d) thermometer
- Fold mountains are formed mainly by (a) compressional forces (b) earthquake (c) erosional activities (d) eruption of molten magma
- “They are crystalline, non-stratified, hard and impervious”. The rock type described above is (a) calcareous (b) carbonaceous (c) igneous (d) sedimentary
- The shortest distance between any two points on the earth is along the (a) great circle (b) grid line (c) prime meridian (d) poles
- River capture is also known as river (a) confluence (b) divide (c) misfit (d) piracy
- List four areas of application of GIS.
- Explain two major problems affecting the application of GIS.
- geographic information systems
- geographic information system definition
- geographic information systems jobs
- geographic information system example
- geographic information system definition geography
- geographic information systems ap human geography
- geographic information systems degree
- geographic information systems salary
- geographic information system in a sentence
- geographic information systems certificate
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate