A formal letter refers to letter to the press, business letter request for casual leave by staff in offices, an application for Job etc. It is also a letter written to people who are not close to us.
FEATURES OF THE FORMAL LETTER
- Address: This should be written at the top of a letter on the right hand corner. Write the date in full and put a full stop after abbreviation Example
8, Adeosun Street,
7th July, 2015.
- The Recipient’s Address should be written on the left hand side below the writer’s address. Example
The Director General,
Ministry of Education,
- Salutation (greeting)
The name is salutation is followed by a comma, Example Dear Madam, Sir, Dear Sir, Dear Mr Ojo..
- Title: A formal letter should have a title. Example: A letter of Apology, The causes of Road Accidents, The Importance of Agriculture in Nigeria etc.
- Introduction: The Introduction should show what the letter is all about.
- The body of the Letter: Write clear and simple English. Mind your tenses. Pay attention to spelling and punctuation. Try to be specific in your writing.
- Conclusion: The conclusion should draw together the idea and its relationship with the major paints.
- Subscription comes at the end of the letter. This is followed by a comma. Remember to write ‘y’ in capital letter. Note that ‘faithfully’ is written with small letter but not capital. An Example
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. Thank you so much. Click here to donate