FOOD HYGIENE, FOOD SPOILAGE AND FOOD POISONING
Food spoilage is the deterioration of food, making it unfit for human consumption.
– Food poisoning is the illness caused by eating contaminated food.
Causes of Food Spoilage
- Poor storage of foods
- Chemicals present in food containers wrappers and packets
- Keeping food for too long until it rots, wilts or withers.
Cover cooked foods to keep off bacteria, pests and pets.
Milk should not be stored together with strong smelling foods as it absorbs their smell.
– Chemicals in Food
– Canned Meat
– Chocolate wrapper
– Prolonged Storage
– Mould Bread
– Rotten Meat
Food poisoning and food spoilage can be prevented by:
- Storing harmful chemicals such as kerosene, detergents away from food.
- Thoroughly drying grains before storage and then storing them in a clean dry and well ventilated grain store.
- Not buying foods that have expired or are about to expire.
- Washing hands, preparing, cooking and serving food in a clean environment.
- Washing fruits and vegetables before using them.
Signs and Symptoms of Food Poisoning
– Violent vomiting
– High fever
– Severe abdominal pain
– General body weakness