FOOD, CLASSES AND IMPORTANCE
Food can be defined as any substance that can be metabolized by any organism to give and build tissues. It is a substance which when taken into the body, yields materials which can produce energy, yield substances for growth and repair of our body tissues. Good food is one of the basis for good health.
CLASSES OF FOOD
- Fats and oil
- Mineral salts
DIFFERENT TYPES OF FOOD
|CARBOHYDRATES— cassava, yam, maize, potatoes, rice, millete.t.c.|
|FATS AND OIL—palm oil, butter, groundnut oil, animal oil e.t.c.|
|PROTEIN—fish, meat, egg, milk, beans e.t.c.|
|MINERAL SALT—sea foods, vegetables, liver, milk e.t.c.|
|VITAMINS—liver, egg, milk, tomatoes, fruits e.t.c.|
|WATER—rain, spring, brooks/small river, tap e.t.c.|
FUNCTIONS OF FOOD
- Food satisfies hunger.
- Food keeps the body warm.
- Food makes us look good and healthy.
- Food builds the body.
- Food protects the body from diseases and infections.
- Food provides the body with energy.
- Food makes us grow and develop.
- Define food.
- List six functions of food.
- Food serves the following purpose except ___ (a) eliminate hunger (b) provide energy (c) enhance growth (d) increase hunger.
- The class of food that helps in the growth of new cells is called ___ (a) fat and oil (b) mineral salt (c) protein (d) vitamins
- The substance for growth and repair of our body tissues is called ___ good B. mood
- food D. none of the above
- Which of these is a class of food? Beans B. Rice C. Egg D. None of the above
- The following are sources of Fats and oil except ___ fish oil B. millet C. coconut oil
- palm oil
- Mention any five importance of food.
- List any five sources of fats and oil.