F.A.O. was established in 1945 and has its headquarter in Rome.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- Production of Food: It is mainly concerned with fighting hunger in the World by helping its members to grow more food.
- To improve the production and distribution of agricultural products to all parts of the World.
- Provide advice: It improves useful advice on food storage, fertilizer usage and oil erosion.
- Relief Materials: The agency sends relief materials in form of food and money to disaster areas.
- Credit Facilities: It provides credit facilities to agricultural sector.
- Conservation of Natural Resources: It helps in the conservation of natural resources like environment, lakes, and forests and so on.
- Provision of technical assistance: This agency sends experts to countries that need assistance of such technocrats.
UNITED NATIONS EDUCATIONAL SCIENTIFIC AND CULTURAL ORGANIZATION (UNESCO)
UNESCO is a specialized agency of the United Nations established on November 16, 1945. UNESCO has 195 member states and 6 associate members. The organization is based in Paris, with over 50 field offices and many specialized institutes and center throughout the World. UNESCO pursues its objectives through five major programmes, which are; Education, Natural Science, Social and Human Sciences, Cultural and Communication and information.
PURPOSE OF THE AGENCY
- UNESCO was formed with the purpose of encouraging universal respect for justice, human rights and the fundamental freedoms.
- The UNESCO as an international organization must serve the ends and objectives of the United Nations, which in the long perspective are World ends for humanity as a whole.
- UNESCO was set up to help to manage natural and earth’s resources like water and water quality, the ocean and promoting science and technology.
- It was established to promote basic human rights and focuses on global issues like fighting, discrimination and racism.
- To maintain cultural diversity, as well as the protection of cultural heritage.
- To promote communication and information worldwide and to empower people through access to information and knowledge.
UNITED NATIONS INTERNATIONAL CHILDREN EMERGENCY FUND (UNICEF)
UNICEF was established on December 11, 1946, with its headquarter located in New York, U.S.A. It works with children in 158 countries.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To supply drugs and equipment to children who suffers from different kinds of diseases in the World.
- It assists in setting up welfare, nutrition and health activities of children in developing countries.
- To provide food to children in order to improve their nutrition.
- UNICEF works cooperatively with I.L.O.(International Labour Organization) to improve occupational health.
- To supply materials and equipment that can help in training of children.
- It releases fund in time of emergencies.
- It assists W.H.O to train medical personnel in rural areas.
INTERNATIONAL MONETRAY FUND (I.M.F)
The International Monetary Fund (I.M.F.) was set up after the Second World War, in order to encourage the development of foreign trade. It started operation in 1947 with headquarter in Washington, U.S.A. Presently, it has about 188 member countries.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To established and stabilize exchange rate among member nations.
- To make fund available to members to finance balance of payment deficit.
- To make recommendations to members concerning economic policies to be adopted.
- To encourage the development of international trade.
- To promote cooperation among member countries on financial matters.
- To facilities settlement of debts in foreign transactions.
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- List the political parties in the second republic
- Give 5 contributions of the NPP
- Mention 5 features of the McPherson constitution
- What were the weaknesses of the McPherson constitution?
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate