Farm structures are simple erections which are constructed in the farm site to make farm operations easier. They are usually very simple building which to are not made from concrete. Farm structures are constructed to serve specific purpose on the farm. They could be temporary or permanent dispending on their uses or the purpose they serve.
MEANING AND TYPES OF FARM STRUCTURE
- PROCESSING STRUCTURES: These are structures used for the processing of different kinds of farm produce. They include shelling or hulling barns, smoking houses, slaughter shed, milk pasteurizing shed, drying shed, cassava mill, and rice mill. In addition, processing structures also include sheds designed and erected to accommodate (house) processing machines such as grinding machines, feed mills, oil palm press and rice mill.
- STORAGE STRUCTURES: These are used for storing farm produce of different kinds. They include the following:
- Yam barn for storing yam;
- Silos for storing grains;
- Cribs for storing unshelled maize;
- Rhumbus for storing grains;
- Compost pit for storing compost manure and
- Silage pit.
- UTILITY STRUCTURES: These are structures which provide service for the whole farm. They are useful for every aspect of the farm. Utility structures are wells, fences, dams, boreholes, irrigation carnals, animals dips, spray and water tanks
- DAMS: A dam is a structure used to hold water across a river a stream. They are made with stones, wood, mud or concrete. Dams make water available all year round for irrigation of crops, water for animals to drink and other farming operations.
- CANALS: These are structures used to control the flow of water on the farm. There are two types of canals. These are the irrigation canal which are constructed to carry water form rivers, lakes or streams to the field where crops are growing. The drainage canal however, is a kind of gutter which is constructed for removing excess water from the farm.
- FENCES: These are constructed round the farm to serve various purpose such as:
- To protect crops and animals
- To prevent thieves from gaining access to the farm;
- To mark or demarcate boundaries;
- To control farm animals grazing and breeding habit and;
- To prevent animals from destroying the crops.
Fences are of different types such as the barbed wire fence; bamboo fence; wall (concrete) fence, electric fence, wire netting fence; post and range fence; and hedge or live fence.
These are structures built for the purpose of maintaining farm tools and implements. A major examples is the shed used as workshop such as for woodwork or metal work where tools are being repaired on the farm
These are simple buildings erected at different points in the farm for various purposes. They are constructed from cheap and locally available materials and are usually abandoned or destroyed as soon as the farming operation for which they were built is completed. Hence, they are also called ‘temporary buildings’ or ‘make shifts’. Commonly constructed farm shelters include sheds for rest or protection of farmers (workers) during rain or harsh sun; sheds for keeping machines, equipment and tools being used on a site, sheds for temporary storage of harvested produce before marketing or proper storage and nurseries for raising seedlings.
PEOPLE INVOLVED IN STOCK EXCHANGE
- farm structures
- farm structures stardew valley
- farm structures crossword clue
- farm structures notes
- farm structures pdf
- farm structures and environmental control engineering
- farm structures form 3 notes
- farm structures in tropical climates pdf
- farm structures and their uses
- farm structures examples
- definition and types of farm building
- meaning of farm structure and types
- what is farm structure and types
- types of farm structures and buildings
- types of farm structures pdf
- types of farm structure and their uses
- types of farm structure in agriculture
- types of farm structures and utilities
- types of farm structure jss2
- what is farm structure and types