The background to the call of Abraham is found in the first book of the bible. This is Genesis which is a Greek word meaning “Beginning”. The relationship between Adam and God was good but after Adam disobeyed GOD, their relationship changed because of sin by Eve and Adam. After sometime, God repaired this relationship by calling Abraham and offering salvation.
-Abraham lived with his father Terah at a place called Ur. Abraham’s father lived among people who worshiped many gods. One of the god’s whom people of Ur worshiped was the moon. This worship of many gods is referred to as polytheism.
– The family of Terah moved from Ur to Haran.
While at Haran, God called Abraham at 75 years old. He was told to…. “Leave your country, your relatives and your father’s home and go to a land that I am going to show you”. Abraham obeyed God’s call.
He left Haran for a land that was unknown to him.
He took his property his wife Sarah and his nephew lot.
At the time of the call of Abraham, he was known as Abram and his wife Sarai. God changed their names to Abraham and Sarah.
Abraham means Father of many nations while Sarah means mother of nations.
– On arrival in Canaan, he travelled and came to a place called Schechem.
God appeared to him once more. Abraham built an altar for the lord at this place. Altars are places of worship.
They were regarded as holy and were manifestations of God’s presence.
An altar was made of stones.
-After sometime, he separated with his nephew Lot due to their servants having strife over water for their livestock.
Abraham left Canaan due to feminine. He went to Egypt.
Faith and God’s Promises to Abraham (Hebrews 11: 1 – 6)
- The Meaning of Faith
– Faith is a strong belief, a complete trust or confidence in someone or something. It is also a firm belief, which is not based on any scientific or logical proof.
Faith in God is an attitude of complete trust in God.
It is not based on concrete or tangible objects.
Faith is manifested in the ways of life of a believer.
– Abraham is an example of someone who had faith in God. He showed his faith in action in several ways.
How Abraham Demonstrated His Faith in God
- Although Abraham was old, he left Haran to go to a strange unknown land of Canaan.
- After he settled in Canaan, Abraham was assured by God of his protection and was given other promises such as he will get a son, and Abraham believed God.
Sarah gave birth to a son when she was 90 years old and Abraham was around 120 years old.
This was as the lord had promised Abraham.
- The son was named Isaac that means “laughter” – because Sarah had laughed when she was told that she would have a child in her old age.
The child Isaac was circumcised when he was eight (8) days old.
- Abraham was told by God to circumcise all males in his household including himself. He obeyed.
- When Abraham was asked to sacrifice his son Isaac to God, he was ready to do so.
- Abraham believed that God would fulfill all the promises he had given to him.
- Abraham demonstrated his faith by building altars.
- God’s Promises to Abraham (Genesis 12:2-3, 15:1-21,21, 17:1-8, 17:15-18)
A promise is giving an assurance of something to someone.
- The promises God gave to Abraham were that:
- God told him he would give him a land. His descendants would be given the land of Canaan to dwell in
- His name would be made famous
- His descendants will be many. Abraham would be made a great nation.
- God would protect him.
- He was promised a son of their own.
- God would bless him.
- God would bless those who bless him and curse those who curse him.
- Abraham was promised that he would die in peace and in an old age.
- His descendants would be strangers in a foreign land but afterwards would come out with great possessions.
- The Relevance of the Promises Made by God to Abraham to Christians Today (Gen. 12: 2 – 3, 15: 1 – 21, 21:1 – 7, 17: 15 – 18)
God called Abraham from idol worship in the same way God continues to call people to serve him.
1) Through Abraham, God had a plan to restore the relationship between man and God.
2) Christians receive the promises of blessings from God through Abraham (Gods promises to Abraham fulfilled through Christians).
3) As Abraham left his own people, Christians should leave their sinful lives and put their whole trust in God.
4) Abraham is seen as the descendant not only of the Israelites but also of Christians.
5) Christians have faith that God fulfills promises to them as he did to Abraham.
6) Christians are assured of God’s protection.
7) Through God’s dealing with Abraham, God shows that he values a personal relationship with human kind.
Through Jesus Christ Christians enter into an everlasting covenant with God. Just like Abraham entered into a covenant with God.
9) The promise to Abraham of Canaan Promised Land is to Christians the hope for new land – heaven.
10) God continues to make promises to those who believe him.
11) Abraham is the ancestor (Father) of all believers)
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate