Table of Contents
Meaning of Ethics
Ethics are the values, principles/ rule and behavior by which people in the society, or group of people is a profession or association live. It is a set of rules that makes people to be aware of right and wrong.
ETHIC GUIDING THE SOURCING OF CHEMICALS
- A person or business organization dealing in chemical from NAFDAC obtain a certificate from NAFDAC
- All chemicals not registered by NAFDAC cannot be sold in Nigeria
- All persons or companies that have licence to sell chemicals must site their office away from wherethe chemicals can harm people
- Any seller of chemicals must have qualified and experienced staff to handle the chemicals accordingly.
- What is an ethics?
- State three ethics guiding the sourcing of chemicals
ETHICS OF SOURCING CHEMICALS FROM A LICENSED VENFOR
A licensed vendor is someone that has been given a permit to import, buy and sell chemicals. The list
of such vendors is obtainable from NAFDAC and SON (standard Organization of Nigeria. Chemicals therefore should be sourced from licensed vendors for the following reasons
- To be sure the product is legally permitted for use in Nigeria.
- The source of the chemical is know
- The purity of the chemical is ensured
- That suppliers demands your ID cards because chemicals are not sold to underage person
PROPER HANDLING TECHNIQUES
The following ethics guide the handling of chemicals:
- Everyone involved in the handling of chemicals must have the appropriate training and education.
- Work habits to minimize personal and co-workers exposure to chemical risks must be ensured.
- Chemical containers must be sealed tightly and not broken or damaged.
- Chemicals containers must not be accepted without accompanying labels .
- All chemicals shipments must be dated when recovered and again when opened
- List three proper handling techniques of chemicals.
- State four (4) guides to sourcing of chemicals.
- They should be straped down in the course of delivery
- Chemicals should not be delivered to an office area where and when it will be dangerous to workers
- On receipt, the chemical should be labelled as to its content.
- They should be moved to the designed storage area as soon as they are received .
- Storage area should be well lit.
- Classify the chemicals by how dangerous they
- Large bottles should be stored no more than two feet from the ground level .
- Storage area should not be used for preparation and repackaging.
- There should be limited access to the area where chemicals are stored.
GOOD DISTRIBUTION OF CHEMICALS
- Chemical should be sold only in their original containers. Dispensing and repackaging are not allowed.
- All sales transactions in chemicals should be accompanied by the certificate of analysis of the chemical.
- Chemical vendors shall submit the list of their distributors to NAFDAC for monitoring purpose.
- State three proper ways of storing chemicals.
- List two proper ways of distributing chemicals.
PROPER DISPOSAL OF CHEMICALS
It is very important that the proper way of doing away with chemicals when we have finished using them be known so as to save our environment , humans, animals and sources of water. This includes
- All containers of chemicals to be disposed of must be clearly labelled .
- There should be no leak in the container.
- Original container should be used whenever possible.
- The waste disposal company must be notified to come and pick up the waste for proper disposal.
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- What is the meaning of ethics?
- Give two (2) examples of unethical behavior.
- State three (3) ethics guiding the sourcing of chemicals.
- State three (3) rules guiding the good distribution of chemical.
- Mention four (4) ways of properly disposing of chemicals.
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT SECTION A
- The list of licensed sellers of chemicals can be obtained from _____ and _____
- NAFDAC and EFCC B. EFCC and SON C. NAFDAC and SON D. CBN and UB
- ______ are the rules/principles, value and behavior by which people live.
- Ethics B. Chemical C. Licensed vendors D. NAFDAC
- ______ is someone that has been given the permit to import, buy and sell chemicals
- a licensed vendor B. an agent C. a retailer D. a consumer
- The rule to classify the chemicals by how dangerous they are relates to chemicals _____
- distribution B. storage C. disposal D. delivery
- The rule that ‘upon receipt the chemical should be labelled as to its content relate to
- storate B. delivery C. disposal D. distribution
- Explain the statement that chemicals can be a friend or a foe.
- State two rules each concerning (i) storage Distribution iii. Proper disposal of chemicals
- Original containers should be used whenever possible.
- The waste disposal company must be notified to come and pick up the waste for proper disposal of