Emergency can be defined as urgent situations that require the suspension of the constitution in order to restore law and order. During periods of emergency government institutions such as legislature, executive and judiciary may not be able to carry out their regular functions and citizens may be restricted of their human rights until the emergency is lifted.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING EMERGENCY PERIOD?
1 Partial or temporal suspension of the constitution.
2 The principles of rule of law may be ignored.
- Movement may be restricted to certain areas or hours of the day.
- Some arrests can be carried out without any warrant.
- There may be restriction of freedom of expression and the press.
- Human rights may be violated for the interest of security.
- It can lead to involvement of military in politics.
- What do you understand by emergency?
- Mention five things that can happen during periods of emergency.
WAYS OF REDUCING EMERGENCY
- Respect for Constitution: A situation where people have respect for the constitution and laws of the land there will be reduction in emergency cases.
- Promotion of Human Rights: Respect for human rights in conduct and relationship with other people will reduce emergency cases in the society.
- Good Government: A situation where the government is responsive and responsible to the people there may not be any need for emergency.
- Socio-Economic Development: The provision of basic infrastructure can reduce the causes of emergency. Where there is socio-economic development people are able to live in harmony with one another thereby promoting peace and orderliness.
- Public Enlightenment: People should be educated on the need to promote the social wellbeing of the society. They should be taught their civic responsibilities to the government and the society at large.
- Respect for Democratic Principles: A state where people have respect for democratic principles such as rule of law, popular participation and fundamental rights there will reduction of emergency cases.
- Mention five ways to reduce emergency in a state.
- How can constitutionalism reduce cases of emergency?
- Define popular participation.
- State five factor that can promote popular participation.
- What is democracy?
- Differentiate between direct and indirect democracy
- List five features of democracy
Emergency: Fundamentals of Civic Education for Senior Secondary Book 2, Sola Akinyemi, Pages 46-49
Instruction: From the options lettered A-D, choose the letter that is most appropriate for the following questions. Answer all the questions.
- Partial suspension of constitution in a state for the purpose of law and order is termed? A. Military ruleB. Constitutionalism C. Emergency D. Impartiality.
- Which of the following is a cause of emergency A. peace B. disregard for law C. political stability D. immunity clause.
- A common feature of emergency is A. suspension of constitution B. respect for human rightsC. cooperation D. popular participation
- Respect for human right canA. promote emergency B. enhance emergency C. reduce emergencyD. determine emergency
- Constitutionalism means A. application of constitution B. respect for authority C. written constitution D. democratic practices
- Explain four effects of emergency in a state.
- List five possible causes of emergency in a state.
- emergency vet near me
- emergency room near me
- emergency dentist near me
- emergency vet
- emergency room
- emergency reporting
- emergency dentist
- emergency dental near me
- emergency movie