A drama director is someone who oversees the affairs of the play by trying to unify the various human and material aspects of the production.The drama director is an instructor who instructs the players on how they are to play their part during drama rehearsal.
The drama director is subject to the producer who is the master of the drama production.Sometimes, the producer equally plays the part of the drama director at the same time.
FUNCTIONS OF A DIRECTOR IN DRAMA
The director has two fundamental duties.
- To bring about a unified vision within the finished production.
- To lead others toward its ultimate actualization.
To carry out these duties, the director must organize the realization of her vision .The director must decide on the interpretation to be given the play ,work with the playwright (if possible),designers and technicians in planning the production ,cast and rehearse the actions ,and co-ordinate other elements into the finished production. The director sets the vision for everyone involved.
On the other hand,the director has the challenging task of bringing together the complex pieces of a production,script,actors,set,costuming ,lighting ,and sound/music into a unified whole. To accomplish these tasks, the director needs to
- interpretthe script;
- cast the production;
- collaborate with designers;
- plan the rehearsals;
- guide the players in their work during rehearsal.
GENERAL EVALUATION / REVISION QUESTIONS
- Define motif.
- Explain the term pattern.
- List five elements of art and design.
- Explain any five principles of art and design.
- List the three properties of colour.
- Define drama director.
- State two responsibilities of the director in drama.
- ………..….is saddled with the responsibility of directing the key players during drama rehearsal. (a) Make -up Artist (b) Director (c) Prompter (d) Costumier
- The director is part of the crew in drama.(a)True (b) False (c) Maybe (d) Not sure
- Who supervises the actor and actress while they read their lines from the script?(a) Make- up Artist (b) Costume designer (c) Director (d) Prompter
- What cue in drama means to begin a scene?(a) Cut (b) Action (c) Stand by LQ38 (d) None of the above
- What cue or signal in drama means to end a scene? (a) Stand by LQ38 (b) Action (c) Cut (d) None the above
- Who is a drama director?
- State two duties of the director in drama.
⇓ Fully Funded Scholarships ⇓
We built School Portal NG to specially serve as an alternative means to provide free education for the less-privileged children or children born to low-income earners, adults who otherwise cannot afford to finance their way through school.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, but this portal is free. Help to keep this learning portal free by donating or supporting us. We accept donations, grants, sponsorships & support to help reach out to more children. Thank you so much. Click here to donate