Democracy can be defined as a government of the people, by the people and for the people in ordinary terms. Democracy has been defined by various philosophers and writers in different ways e.g. Aristotle definition of democracy, It is the rule of mob and condemns it.
See lay defined it as a government in which everyone has a share.
In short democracy is that form of government in which sovereignty remains in the hands of the entire nation, which can make and unmake the government.
Types of Democracy
Following are two types of democracy
1. Direct Democracy
Under this system the people take direct in the affairs of the state. The people themselves are the rulers and they are the ruled at the same time. They themselves make the laws, enforce them and decide cases according to these laws. Such a democracy existed in City States of ancient Greece and Rome. Some practices of direct democracy are still observed in Switzerland and in some states of the USA.
2. Indirect or Representative Democracy
After the creation of large nation states, it became impossible for all the people directly to participate in the affairs of the state. Under this form of government the people elect a small number of representatives or delegation and give them the authority to run the government. Since the people rule through these representatives, we give the system the name of indirect or representative democracy. Today in almost all the countries of the world there is indirect or representative democracy.
Features Of Democracy
- Periodic election.
- Political parties
- Free association and groups
- Secret ballot.
- Independent National Electoral Commission.
- Pressure groups
- Political parties
- Arms of government
Pillars Of Democracy
- The People
- Democratic Institutions
- Rule of Law
- Transparent Electoral Processes
- Majority Rule and Minority Rights
Consumer Rights and Responsibilities
Protection of Human Rights & Rule Of Law
PUNISHABLE OFFENCES AND PUNISHMENT FOR BREAKING THE LAW
Relationship between Federal, State and Local government
- democracy definition
- democracy now
- democracy jeans
- democracy vs republic
- democracy examples
- democracy index
- democracy prep
- democracy in america
- democracy synonym
- types of democracy
- types of democracy ap gov
- types of democracy pdf
- types of democracy quizlet
- types of democracy direct and indirect
- types of democracy definition
- types of democracy where citizens elect leaders
- types of democracy in the us
- types of democracy quiz
- types of democracy quiz ap classroom
- features of democracy
- features of democracy in ancient greece
- features of democracy class 9
- features of democracy in india
- features of democracy pdf
- features of democracy in nigeria
- features of democracy upsc
- features of democracy in hindi
- features of democracy in scotland
- features of democracy in tanzania