Data processing is the collection and manipulation of items of data to produce meaningful information. Data processing is the process of manipulation data to generate information. Data processing methods are techniques used to process/sort different types of data.
TYPES OF DATA PROCESSING
(1) Batch Processing (2) Online Processing (3) Real-time Processing (4) Multi Programming (5) Multi Processing (6) Time Sharing
- BATCH PROCESSING: Batch processing involves the collection of data in form of source document. These maybe customers’ order and payroll. They are gathered in groups known as batches. They are usually processed in batches. The implication of this is that individual transactions cannot be executed until the entire batch has been processed.
- ONLINE PROCESSING: Online processing is also known as direct access or random access processing. A job is processed at the same time when it is received.
- REAL-TIME PROCESSING: Data are been used as they become available. In real-time processing, receiving and processing of transactions are processing of jobs.
- MULTI PROGRAMMING: This is the process whereby different programs can use the computer resources at the same time.
- MULTI PROCESSING: The ability of a multi-processor computer system is to execute several instructions simultaneously.
- TIME SHARING: This method of processing allows different users to use the same CPU resources simultaneously by dividing CPU time among all the users on the scheduled basis.
6 IMPORTANT STAGES IN THE DATA PROCESSING CYCLE
- COLLECTION: Collection is the first stage of the cycle, and is very crucial, since the quality of data collected will impact heavily on the output. It is a process of gathering row data to be entered into the computer.
- PREPARATION: Is the manipulation of data into a form suitable for further analysis and processing
- INPUT: Is the task where verified data is coded or converted into machine readable form so that it can be processed through a computer. Data entry is done through the use of a keyboard, digitizer, scanner, or data entry from an existing source.
- PROCESSING: Is when the data is subjected to various means and methods of manipulation, the point where a computer program is being executed, and it contains the program code and its current activity.
- OUTPUT AND INTERPRETATION: Is the stage where processed information is now transmitted to the user. Output is presented to users in various report formats like printed report, audio, video, or on monitor.
- STORAGE: This is the last stage in the data processing cycle, where data, instruction and information are held for further use. The importance of this cycle is that it allows quick access and retrieval of the processed information. Every computer uses storage to hold system and application software.
- What IS Data processing
- List five (5) stages of data processing cycle.
⇓ Fully Funded Scholarships ⇓
We built School Portal NG to specially serve as an alternative means to provide free education for the less-privileged children or children born to low-income earners, adults who otherwise cannot afford to finance their way through school.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, but this portal is free. Help to keep this learning portal free by donating or supporting us. We accept donations, grants, sponsorships & support to help reach out to more children. Thank you so much. Click here to donate