Computer Operation – Files and Folders
FILE: A file is the common storage unit in a computer. All data are contained in a file. A computer file is a resource for storing information, which is available to a computer program and is usually based on some kind of during storage.
FOLDER: A folder is a graphical user interface, a container for programs and file, symbolized on the screen by a graphical image (icon) of a file
A folder is equivalent to a directory in that it can hold both files and additional folders.
HOW TO RENAME A FILE/FOLDER
- Move the mouse pointer to the folder you want to rename.
- Right click on the folder icon
- A drop down menu will appear, move to rename and click on “rename”
- Press backspace or delete keys to erase the original name.
- Then type the name you wish to give the folde
HOW TO MOVE A FILE/FOLDER FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER
- Move the mouse pointer to the file/folder that you want to move
- Left click the mouse once and hold it down and move or drag the mouse without releasing your hand from the mouse. Drag it to the new destination of your choice.
- Then release your hand from the mouse. And the file/folder will appear on the new location.
HOW TO DELETE A FILE/FOLDER
- Move the mouse pointer to the file/folder that you want to delete
- Right click on the file/folder
- Move to “delete” and click on “delete”
- Or press the “delete” key on the keyboard
HOW TO COPY, CUT AND PASTE A FILE/FOLDER
- Move the mouse to the file/folder
- Right click on the file/folder
- Move the mouse pointer down/up to “cut” or “copy” depending on what you want to do.
- Click on “cut” or “copy”
- Move the mouse pointer to the new location where you want to paste the file/folder.
- Right click on the new location and click on “paste”. The file/folder will appear.
- List steps involve on how to rename a file/folder
- List steps on how to cut and paste a file/folder
- List steps on how to delete a file/folder
- DATA PROCESSING
Data processing is the collection and manipulation of items of data to produce meaningful information. Data processing is the process of manipulation data to generate information. Data processing methods are techniques used to process/sort different types of data.
TYPES OF DATA PROCESSING
(1) Batch Processing (2) Online Processing (3) Real-time Processing (4) Multi Programming (5) Multi Processing (6) Time Sharing
- BATCH PROCESSING: Batch processing involves the collection of data in form of source document. These maybe customers’ order and payroll. They are gathered in groups known as batches. They are usually processed in batches.
The implication of this is that individual transactions cannot be executed until the entire batch has been processed.
- ONLINE PROCESSING: Online processing is also known as direct access or random access processing. A job is processed at the same time when it is received.
- REAL-TIME PROCESSING: Data are been used as they become available. In real-time processing, receiving and processing of transactions are processing of jobs.
- MULTI PROGRAMMING: This is the process whereby different programs can use the computer resources at the same time.
- MULTI PROCESSING: The ability of a multi-processor computer system is to execute several instructions simultaneously.
- TIME SHARING: This method of processing allows different users to use the same CPU resources simultaneously by dividing CPU time among all the users on the scheduled basis.
6 IMPORTANT STAGES IN THE DATA PROCESSING CYCLE
- COLLECTION: Collection is the first stage of the cycle, and is very crucial, since the quality of data collected will impact heavily on the output. It is a process of gathering row data to be entered into the computer.
- PREPARATION: Is the manipulation of data into a form suitable for further analysis and processing
- INPUT: Is the task where verified data is coded or converted into machine readable form so that it can be processed through a computer. Data entry is done through the use of a keyboard, digitizer, scanner, or data entry from an existing source.
- PROCESSING: Is when the data is subjected to various means and methods of manipulation, the point where a computer program is being executed, and it contains the program code and its current activity.
- OUTPUT AND INTERPRETATION: Is the stage where processed information is now transmitted to the user. Output is presented to users in various report formats like printed report, audio, video, or on monitor.
- STORAGE: This is the last stage in the data processing cycle, where data, instruction and information are held for further use. The importance of this cycle is that it allows quick access and retrieval of the processed information. Every computer uses storage to hold system and application software.
List five (5) stages of data processing cyc What IS Data processing
Web developer, computer teacher, author, computer technician,