Communication may be defined as a means of sending and receiving information from one person to another or from one place to another. It connects buyers and seller together and also aid trade in commerce.
Role of communication
- Communication provides quick means of sending and receiving information
- It enhances the spreading of information about market
- It facilitates the settlement of business debt
- Free flow of information through communication leads to increase in productivity
- It serves as tools for transacting business in international trade
Types of communication
- oral communication
- written communication
- ORAL COMMUNICATION – is communication by speech. It includes face to face conversations, phone calls, lectures, interview, meeting etc
- WRITTEN COMMUNICATION – involves writing e.g. letters, telex, memo, report, E-mail etc.
Means of communication
In the olden days, communication was carried out traditionally with the use of talking drum, town criers, metal gong, palm frond, gun blast, smoke, bell etc.
The modern means of communication are:
- Post office (NIPOST)
- World wide web (www)
- Courier services
- Computer services
- Fax machine
Exercise: (i) What is a registered mail?
(ii) Which postal services can be used to ensure that written communication is received (a) quickly (b) safely
(iii) What is www.com
SUBSCRIBE BELOW FOR A GIVEAWAY