These are normally drinks of about 10cl which is made from a mixture of different ingredients so blended that no single component dominates the other. They can be served before meal to the appetite or after meal to provide a sweet testing finis to the meal.
METHODS OF MAKING COCKTAIL
- Shaking method: Cocktail shaker or Boston shaker with hawthorn strainer and blender for mixing are used as the equipment to make the cocktail. All the ingredients are shaken very well and blended that no ingredient predominate the other.
- Stirring method: bar mixing glass, bar spoon with muddler and hawthorn strainer are used as equipment when the ingredient are wine base and clear the cocktail should be stirred.
POINTS TO CONSIDER IN MAKING COCKTAILS
- The ice to be used should be clear and clean.
- Do not overfill the cocktail shaker.
- Effervescent drinks should never be shaken.
- To stir, be short and snappy.
- Never use the same ice twice.
- Do not overfill glass to the brim to avoid spillage.
SERVING OF COCKTAILS
- Cocktails should be served chilled in an appropriate size of glass and the correct garnishing, stew and umbrella.
- Many cocktails are served in the traditional V-shaped cocktail glass, but if the cocktail is a long drink, a larger glass such as slim-Jim will be suitable.
- Pina colada cocktail
White rum – 3.0cl
Coconut cream- 3.0cl
Pineapple juice- 9.0cl
PROCEDURE: shake or blend all ingredients vigorously on ice until smooth, strain into a chilled high ball glass, garnish with fresh pineapple wedge and a maraschino cherry as well as adding straws.
- Salty dog
Vodka – 5.0cl
Grapefruit juice – 10.0cl
PROCEDURE: Shake vodka and grape fruit in cocktail shaker, then strain into a salt and rimmed high ball glass filled with lime.
- Champagne cocktail
Sugar cube ½
Angostura bitters – 2 dash
Champagne – 5.0cl
Brandy – 5.0cl
PEOCEDURE: Place the sugar cube soaked in Angostura into a flute or tulip-shaped champagne glass, then pour over the well chilled champagne and float the brandy on the surface by pouring over the back of a teaspoon, garnished with a slice of orange and maraschino cherry.
- Decorate and set a table for two guests who would be having a cocktail meeting, use a suitable napkin fold.
- List any other three alcoholic cocktails.
NON ALCOHOLIC COCKTAILS
These are cocktails that do not contain alcohol
- FRUIT CUP
Orange juice – 3.0cl
Grape fruit juice – 3.0cl
Apple juice – 3.0cl
Pour all ingredients with the exception of the lemonade/soda onto ice in a glass jug, then stir well to blend and chill, add sliced fruit garnish and top up with lemonade or soda water. Serve well chilled in a high ball or Worthington glass.
Pineapple juice – 4.5cl
Orange juice -4.5cl
Mix the well chilled ingredients on crushed ice in a slim Jim glass and serve with strew.
Orange squash – 1 cup
Angostura bitters – 1 dessert spoon
Spirit or 7 up – 1 bottle
Cucumber – 1 slice
Lemon – 1 slice
Ice cubes – 10 cubes.
Place ice cubes in a glass, then pour in all the ingredients and stir with strew.
READING ASSIGNMENT: Catering Craft Practice for Seniors Secondary Schools by Aminu Bariki SS3 (Pgs 56-60).
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- List two recipes and steps involved in the preparation of a non alcoholic cocktail.
- List the recipe and procedure in the preparation of any alcoholic cocktail.
- Explain the following: (i) stock (ii) sauces (iii) soup.
- State five precautions to take to prevent falls in the kitchen.
- Define the term mince.
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT (SECTION A)
- The following are examples of a non alcoholic cocktail except A. fruit cup B. Tropicana C. chapman D. champagne cocktail.
- The following are the recipes needed for making Americano cocktail except —– A. campari B. red vermouth C. grape juice D. soda water.
- Orange squash, angostura bitters, 7 up, cucumber, lemon, ice cube and blackcurrant are recipes used for making A. tropicana B. chapman C. salty dog D. pina colada.
- salty dog, champagne cocktail, Americano cocktail, pina colada cocktail are examples of ——- A. juice cocktails B. local cocktails C. alcoholic cocktails D. non alcoholic cocktails.
- Juice, tea, chapman and water are—- drink A. local B. alcoholic C. non alcoholic D. all of the above.
- Explain how to prepare any alcoholic and non alcoholic cocktail.
- Mention the points to consider in preparing cocktail drinks.
- cocktails near me
- cocktails and screams
- cocktails with tequila
- cocktails movie
- cocktails and dreams
- cocktails with mint
- cocktails with pineapple juice
- cocktails with rum
- cocktails with gin