A citizen is someone who enjoys full political rights in a state and in return performs certain duties to the state. A citizen therefore is a legal member of a state.
Type of Citizenship
- Citizenship by birth: this is the situation whereby the parents of the person are
natives in the country or a person born by citizens of a country. For example; a child born by Nigerian parents automatically becomes a Nigerian by birth.2. Citizenship by registration or marriage: this occurs when Nigerian male marries for example a Briton (a British) woman. The woman automatically becomes a citizen of Nigerian through registration of marriage.
3. Citizenship by nationalization: this happens when an alien or a foreigner becomes a
citizen of another country having fulfilled and satisfied the countries conditions to
acquire the citizen of that country as laid down by the constitution of that country. It is a process by which an individual voluntary changes his/her citizenship of a state to that of another in which he or she resides. Some of the conditions that an alien of another country must fulfil are: as follow;
* Applicant must be an adult acceptable in the community.
* Applicant must be of good character
* Applicant must swear an oath of allegiance
*. Applicant must be able and have been contributing to community and national development and growth.
* Applicant must have been residing in a particular community in that country for
specific period of time.
4. Honorary citizenship: from time to time the government of a country have been
honouring distinguished or important person or eminent person with citizenship of that country. For example such icon figures in Nigeria like: Sir Ahmadu Bello, Nnamdi
Azikwe, Chief Obafemi Awolowo have been honoured with citizenship of other countries of the world.
5. Citizenship by blood ties or decent: citizenship pf a country is also acquired through blood ties. This means that the, fact that a child was born in a particular
community in the country does not necessarily confer the status of the
citizenship on that person.
Democracy | Types, Features, Institutions & Pillars of Democracy
Consumer Rights and Responsibilities
Protection of Human Rights & Rule Of Law
PUNISHABLE OFFENCES AND PUNISHMENT FOR BREAKING THE LAW
- citizenship test
- citizenship application
- citizenship definition
- citizenship test questions
- citizenship in society merit badge
- citizenship application fee
- citizenship status
- citizenship in the community
- citizenship test practice
- type of citizenship
- type of citizenship in us
- type of citizenship crossword
- type of citizenship in nepal
- type of citizenship education
- type of citizenship in nigeria
- type of citizenship in australia
- type of citizenship in india
- type of citizenship in canada
- type of citizenship in tanzania