The aim of this article is to establish you the information that “children they say are the gifts from God,yet they are allowed to suffer by those who should be taking care of them”
The convention on the rights of the child, regarding the importance of family adds that “The child for the full and harmonious development of his or her personality, should grow up in the family environment, in an atmosphere of happiness, love and understanding. In Nigeria today, that ideal is far from being achieved. Child abuse seems to be the order of the day.
Please, let’s help to eradicate child abuse in Nigeria
CONCEPT OF WHO A CHILD IS
Who is a child? A child is any young person below the age of eighteen. From the definition given, we can deduce that a child will fall between the age brackets of a-day old to eighteen years old. Therefore, any child above the age of eighteen is expected to be on the preparatory ground of living an independent life.
What is child abuse ? According to the advance learner’s dictionary, child abuse is when adults intentiontionally treat children in a cruel or vicious way.
Child abuse can also be the physical, sexual or emotional mistreatment of a child or children.
With the present state of the country, it has been discovered that corruption has eaten deep into the system of the economy and has resulted in some things that leads to child abuse in Nigeria. Some of these things are:
3. High population
TYPES OF CHILD ABUSE
Child abuse can be majorly categorized into four types :
1. Child Neglect
2. Child Physical abuse
3. Child Psychological abuse
4. Child Sexual abuse
EFFECTS OF CHILD ABUSE
1. Poor interaction
3. Psychiatric disorder
4. Possible death
5. Poor academic performance
6. Lowered self-esteem and inability to express feelings
7. Self destructive behaviours and inability to form friendships with peers
8. Poorer cognitive and language skills
10. Post-traumatic stress disorder
12. Propensity to further victimization in adulthood
13. Lack of creativity,persistence and enthusiasm
14. Negative perception of the world around
15. Poor social skills
PREVENTION AND POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS TO CHILD ABUSE
1. Organise prevention campaign
2. Educate the public to love children
3. Helping parents on how to care and teach their children
4. School counsellors or teachers should give advice if children have problem
5. Show sincere concern to children
6. Legal action should also be taken on abusers
HOW TO MAKE CHILDREN HAPPY
1. Processing their findings and giving possible solution
2. Coming down to their level for better understanding
3. Providing their basic and minor needs
4. Being conversant with them
5. Bringing them close to you after scolding and explaining why they were rebuked
6. Encouraging and monitoring them to do things they can not do,but wanting to do them
7. Listening to their suggestions
8. Above all,out of no time provide time to be with them-children really appreciate this most
Children are the future of this great nation-NIGERIA. Child abuse must stop!
A solid foundation should be laid for us, those who are not having proper education should be provided with one, education should be made free for all children. We should have access to health care services and the government should try to improve the economy.
author, teacher, blogger