Calculation of distance using lines of latitude
- locate the two places involved
- find the latitude difference between the two places
Note: North-North= subtract
Equator-North= add or subtract
Equator-South= add or subtract
- multiply the latitude difference by 111km
1°=111km( 1° of latitude is approx. 111km on land)
Calculate the distance between S.Africa(30oS) and Spain(40oN)
- i) Lat.diff.=30oS+40N=70o
The distance b/w S.Africa and Spain=7,7770km
- What is the distance between place A (lat.20oS) and place B (lat.51oN)?
- What is the distance between the Equator and Lagos (14oN)?
Calculation of Local Time using the lines of longitude
- locate the places involved
- find longitude difference
- conversion to time
- adjust time according to the direction of movement(west or east)
- If the time at town A(long.75°W) is 5.00pm on Friday, what will be the time and day at town B(long.120°E) ?
- i) Long.diff.=75°+120°=195°
- ii) conversion to time=195 (since 15°=1hr)=13hrs
iii) adjustment of time according to direction of movt.=5pm+13hrs(add,since it is due east)=6.00am on Saturday
Explain how to use longitude to calculate local time
When it is 2.00pm at GMT; what is the time in
- Ethiopia (45oE)?
- Los-Angeles (75oW)?
- Nigeria (15oE)?
- If the time at the Greenwich Meridian is 11.00 am, what would be the local time at a place 750 W? (a) 6:00am (b) 6:00pm (c) 7:00am
- Which of the following is not a characteristic of lines of longitude? They …… (a) converge at the poles (b) run from east to west (c) run from north to south
- Latitude 66 1/20S marks the…….. (a) Antarctic circle (b) Arctic circle (c) Tropic of cancer
- What is the approximate distance of town X from the equator, if it is located on latitude 140N? (a) 1232 km (b) 1555km (c) 1675km
- Which of the following planets has twelve satellites? (a) Jupiter (b) Mercury (c) Saturn
Attempt questions 3(a), 3(b), and 4(b) on page 21 of Essential Geography.
⇓ Fully Funded Scholarships ⇓
We built School Portal NG to specially serve as an alternative means to provide free education for the less-privileged children or children born to low-income earners, adults who otherwise cannot afford to finance their way through school.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, but this portal is free. Help to keep this learning portal free by donating or supporting us. We accept donations, grants, sponsorships & support to help reach out to more children. Thank you so much. Click here to donate