These refer to the program used to solve a particular type of problem or variety of similar problems. Mostly, application programs are produced by an organisation for its specific tasks.
Types of application software
There are two major types of application software. These are:
- Users’ Application Program
- Application Package
Users’ Application Programs: These consist of programs written specifically for individual application. They are also called customized software.
Application Package: These are programs designed to solve common problem. They are written in generalized form. Some application packages can undertake a single-task while some other ones, called general-purpose can carry out many tasks.
Categories of Application Package:
Application package can be categorised based on the functions they perform. Common types are:
- Word Processing Packages
- Graphic Packages
- Database Packages
- Animation Packages
- Presentation Packages
- Spreadsheet Packages
Most of the packages mentioned above can be used for more than one business solution. However, some application packages called specialised packages can do just one specific task. Examples are:
- Payroll program
- Banking software
- Educational management software
- Statistical packages
- Hospital management software
- Stock control package
- Accounting software, etc.
Characteristics of Application Package
- Portability: This refers to the program being able to work on several computers with little or no modification.
- Performance: The package should enable the task to be done quickly and efficiently.
- Storage saving: The package should not consume much storage space of the computer.
- Reliability: It should be able to perform what is intended for it to perform.
- Readability: The program should be easy to read and understand by other programmers.
- Maintainability: It should be easy to modify whenever the need arises.
MEDIUM OF INFORMATION TRANSMISSION
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate