APPLICATION OF ICT IN THE SOCIETY
Application Areas of ICT
ICT in Everyday Life.
ICT is an acronym which stands for Information and Communication Technology. It is defined as set of technological tools and resources used to communicate, create, disseminate, store and manage information. The technologies include computer, the internet, broadcasting technologies (radio and television), satellite and telephony.
Uses of ICT
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is also a term used to define a wide-range of technologies used for transmitting, receiving, storing, processing, analyzing, retrieving and getting of information.
Some of the uses of ICT are:
- Access and interaction with web applications
- Online banking and commerce
- Online training
- Researches and access to a wealth of information and news
- It is used to engage in entertaining activities such as planning vacations, playing online game, listening to music, watching and editing video, reading online books and magazines.
- For downloading music and video
- For communication with new people
- For sharing of information, photos and video
- E-mails allow you to send and receive messages to and from other uses.
- In a chat room, you can communicate with multiple users at the same time just like a group discussion.
The impact of ICT in the society
ICT has changed society today as much as industrial revolution changed the society in the 18th and 19th century. People interact with ICT in the following fields.
(1) Education: Today, most schools and other educational institute have computers in their classroom for teachers and students. In education, teaches, students, researches and school administrators benefits from the usage of ICT in the following ways.
(a) Teachers use computers to research for teaching materials, participate in online forums and online conference as well to aid their teaching.
(b) Students use the computers and other ICT tools as a reference tool. They use computers to browse the interaction to look for information.
(c) School administrators use computer for administrative purpose to make sure that the entire operation run smoothly.
Sometime, the delivery of education occurs at one place while learning occurs at other locations. Some educational institute offer distance learning program online for student.
Also See: DATA PROCESSING
(2) Finance: Many people and companies use ICT to help manage their finances. The computer is the backbone of banking system around the world.
Some use finance software to balance cheque books, pay bills, track personal income and expenses, manages investment and evaluate financial plans.
In banking, the ICT services are as follows:
- Automated Teller machine (ATM)
- Cheque Deposit
- Electronic Fund Transfer
- Pay by phone
- Personal Computer Banking/Internet Banking. Investors also use online investing to buy and sell stocks and bonds without using brokers.
Also See: COMPUTER PROFESSIONAL
(3) Science: All branches of science, from biology to astronomy to metrology use ICT to assist them with collecting, analyzing and modeling data. Scientist also use the internet to communicate with colleagues around the world.
Success in surgery, medicine and treatment often result from scientist use of computers. A neural system, which attempts to imitate the behaviour of the human brain, was created by scientists by connecting thousands of processors together much like neurous in the brain are connected.
The capability of a personal computer to recognize spoken words is a direct result of scientific experimentation with neural network.
Also See: SPREADSHEET
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate