ANIMAL PROTOZOAN DISEASES
- Red water fever (Piroplasmosis)
|PROTOZOAN DISEASE||ANIMAL AFFECTED||MODE OF TRANSMISSION||SYMPTOMS||CONTROL/PREVENTION|
|Cattle, Sheep and Goat||Spread by the blood sucking Tse-tse fly which sucks blood from an infected animal and transmit the pathogen to healthy animal.||Rise in body temperature, dullness in appearance, constant sleeping.||Clearing of bush around farm in order to remove the fly’s habitat, spraying with insecticides to kill vector, treatment with drugs such as trypanosomide and antimosan.|
|COCCIDIOSIS Eimera sp||Domestic fowl, duck, goose, turkey, guinea fowl and rabbit||It is spread through faeces, litter, feed, water and contaminated soils.||Dropping wings, loss of appetite, blood stained diarrhoea, emaciation, high mortality, loss of hair/ acopecia (in rabbit)||Proper sanitation, avoid wet litters and feed, change of litter used and general disinfection, use suitable drugs such as amprolium and nitrofurazone in water, treat with coccidiostats.|
|RED WATER FEVER (PIROPLASMOSIS) Babesia sp||Cattle, Sheep, Goat and Pig||It is transmitted through the bite of vector called Blue tick.||Rise in body temperature, loss of appetite, diarrhoea, pale red colour of urine, emaciation and death.||Spray with insecticides to kill vector of disease (blue tick), injection of drugs such as Trypan Blue, Babesan or Phenamidine.|
- State 4 bacterial diseases affecting livestock.
- State 2 symptoms of Tuberculosis.
- Name 4 animals affected by tuberculosis.
- What are the symptoms of fowl typhoid.
- List 3 fungal diseases of animals.
- Name 3 animals affected by ringworm.
- State three diseases caused by protozoa.
- What the vector of Piroplasmosis?
- Outline three symptoms of Coccidiosis.
Essential Agric Science by O. Iwena page 386 -390
- Which of the following livestock diseases is transmitted by tick? (a) Coccidiosis
(b) aspergillosis (c) brucellosis (d) red water fever
- Which of the following diseases is not caused by protozoa (a) trypanosomiasis
(b) Coccidiosis (c) red water fever (d) aspergillosis
- When a cattle is observed to be sleeping constantly among the flock, it’s most likely suffering from (a) trypanosomiasis (b) coccidiosis (c) red water fever (d) aspergillosis
- The disease that causes abortion in cattle at the later stage of pregnancy is (a) milk fever (b) pneumonia (c) brucellosis (d) foot and mouth
- Trypanosomiasis can affect the following animals except (a) fowl (b) cattle (c) sheep (d) goat
1a. State three diseases caused by protozoa.
- Name the animals affected in each case.
- Explain Red water fever disease under the following headings – causal organisms, animals affected, mode of transmission, symptoms, control.
Building & maintaining an elearning portal is very expensive, that is why you see other elearning websites charge fees. Help to keep this learning portal free by telling mum or dad to donate or support us. We accept grants, sponsorships & support to help take this to the next big level and reach out to more people. Thank you so much. Click here to donate