Adolescents are very inquisitive and sensitive and emotional about the issue of sex. So, adolescents need to make decisions about sexual behaviours and wait until they are ready emotionally, financially, physically etc.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOUR THAT ENHANCE SEXUAL ABSTINENCE
- Decision-making: This involves making decisions about abstinence, which requires determination and strong commitment to the decisions and carrying out the decision.
- Communication: This involves expressing sexual limits to one’s partner. However, this requires natural understanding of both partners.
- Self-control: Being able to control one’s actions and behaviour in sexual situations.
- Negotiation: This entails exploring other alternatives besides sexual intercourse with one’s partner so as to avoid unwanted sexual behaviour.
- Acquiring knowledge and information: Knowing about the consequences of engaging in sexual intercourse.
- Advanced preparation: The ability to identify situations that are likely to lead to sexual acts is crucial for a young person.
- Identifying goals: Moving towards the achievement of goals ensures the realizations of a positive vision for a successful and healthy future.
BENEFITS OF ABSTINENCE FROM SEXUAL INTERCOURSE
- It boosts self-esteem: Sexually active adolescent often lose their self – esteem and admit that they live with guilt.
- It prevents unwanted pregnancy.
- It prevents HIV/AIDS and other Sexual Transmitted Infections (STIs)
- It helps one to be focused in pursuing life goals.
- It preserves someone’s virginity.
- To avoid emotional trauma when a relationship breaks up (without sexual intercourse).
FACTS ABOUT ABSTINENCE
- It is morally acceptable.
- It helps in boosting self esteem.
- It does not lead to any abnormality of body functions.
- It is the best for prevention of HIV/AIDS and STDs.
- It is a good precaution against teenage pregnancy
- It is naturally good.
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- Mention four facts about abstinence.
- Mention five benefit of abstinence.
- Mention two ways that students can stay abstinent.
- The following are sexually transmitted related diseases except ____ A. gonorrhea
- hepatitis C. HIV/AIDS D. liver sclerosis
- Which of the following is odd in this group as reasons for abstaining from sexual intercourse? A. cultural disapproval B. Religious disapproval C. emotionally ready
- Fear of pregnancy
- All these are behaviour thatenhance sexual abstinence EXCEPT……. A. decision making B. negotiation C. self-control D. regular sexual
- Engaging in a ________ relationship is not the only means of expressing love. A. feelings
- hugging C. sexual D. fact
- The following are social issues except _________ A. corruption B. cultism C. drug abuse
- Mention fourfacts about abstinence.
- Mention three skills and behaviour that promote abstinence
SUBSCRIBE BELOW FOR A GIVEAWAY